Maths at Kemsing is designed to encourage children to become proficient, resilient and enthusiastic mathematicians. We aim to achieve this by:
- Providing a consistent school-wide scheme of learning (White Rose Maths)
- Ensuring every learner is challenged
- Developing fluency, reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Maintaining a purposeful and supportive learning environment
- Motivating children to reach their potential
At Kemsing, we use White Rose Maths as our main scheme of work, alongside some additional resources. Through this approach we:
- Ensure a consistent mastery approach to Maths from Reception to Year 6, to maximise progression of skills and knowledge, and enable children to make meaningful connections.
- Provide a clear learning sequence which builds on prior learning and the development of new skills, which are revisited frequently.
- Nurture children's confidence when learning times tables, through individualised challenges, including the 99 Club and Times Table Rockstars.
- Foster children's motivation and enthusiasm for Maths through competition, with themselves, their peers or even their teacher!
- Revisit prior learning and concepts on a daily basis during Morning Maths.
- Ensure children have access to a wide range of resources and manipulatives, to support their learning.
- Practise systematic strategies for problem-solving and reasoning, ensuring we build the children's resilience and celebrate mistakes as an integral part of learning.
White Rose Parent Workbooks
The White Rose website is full of useful information and resources for parents about what your children are learning in school, how concepts are taught and learnt, and how you can support your child's maths learning at home.
Parent Workbooks are a fantastic resource that are totally free! They reflect exactly the content that your child is learning in school. They can be used for additional support at home, consolidation of learning or revision of concepts from a previous year group.
Here is an example of a workbook from each year group.
The full collection can be accessed by the link below.
Teaching Guidance Videos
Maths with Michael
Many parents feel nervous about helping children with their Maths at home, but White Rose has an amazing resource called "Maths with Michael" which could help. CBBC Presenter Michael Underwood and White Rose Maths have created some videos to guide parents in how certain concepts are taught in school. They're easy to watch and only take around 5-6 minutes each so definitely check them out!